Sunday, August 30, 2009

The age old battle

It isn't discussed often, because most of my friends are smart enough to know when to leave a sensative topic alone, but almost everyone close to me is aware that I am just a touch insecure. Probably no more than most average women. I'm not sure. I haven't passed out the "how insecure are you" survey. Yet.

Luckily for me it is balanced by having an ego the size of a small country. It seems to work out in the wash. But there is a rather large part of me that does an eyeroll and wonders if people don't need to get their eyes checked when they say i'm beautiful. Sure, I appreciate the compliment and it makes me feel good but I can't dismiss that voice inside that says "hello, Miz Freckle-face - Michelle Pfieffer you ain't."

And time partnered with gravity isn't making overlooking those inner insecurities any easier. Gravity meet my boobs... we'll be waging war in the gym every day now for the rest of my life. Looking in the mirror at boobage that is definitely not as perky as it used to be, i suspect that gravity will ultimately win that battle. The bitch.

And wrinkles? When the fuck did wrinkles creep up next to my eyes? I woke up one morning earlier this year and they were just THERE. Came out of nowhere like ninja assassins and took up residence. Fortunately I have found some lotions that help beat them into submission, but doesn't erase them completely. I see them. Yeah... just waiting to dig their crevaces deeper into my skin. Bastards!

Oh, then there is our lovely friend cellulite. I'm pretty sure i spend wayyyyy too much time glaring at the backs of my thighs in the mirror. The cellulite vanishing cream - totally useless. Cellulite laughs in its face.

And don't get me started on tummy pooch. I already know that bitch is situp resistant and the only way to beat her is with a surgeon's knife. Yeah - someday... when i have the extra cash. ~wincing in advance~

I truly admire women that can age gracefully and honestly maintain a "i don't give a fuck" attitude. But in my case, I had limited resources to begin with, so I'm not going down gracefully.
Beautiful? Not hardly. But i'm fighting like an enraged Amazon to maintain what i have for as long as I can.

3 comments:

Julia Phillips Smith said...

'In my case, I had limited resources to begin with, so I'm not going down gracefully.'

LOL, Kota! Screw 'em if they don't get it.

I understand perfectly what you mean about realizing what your looks are and aren't. I'm fine, but I've never been a raving beauty. That suits me, though. Too much that I don't want to deal with if life had shaped me differently.

I'm one of the women who lives in her head and barely surfaces long enough to look in a mirror. Call me eccentric, but I don't even own any make-up.

Karl said...

Good afternoon Lakota,

Don't think of it as a war, think of it as a maintenance program. Just something you do as part of the daily routine.

I'd be willing to bet that for every turn of your head to look back in the mirror, there are 10 looks from behind thinking "she's lovely" (escalators included;)

A pooch would have to be the size of a Saint Bernard before I'd let a surgeon touch it. Remember there's a reason they call it "the practice of medicine"

Creepy said...

Beauty fades, it's part of aging. You think Michelle Pfeiffer (the most beautiful woman to ever walk the planet, IMO) isn't going to end up short, wrinkly, blue-haired and dried out? (She never had an ass or tits to droop, not that there's anything wrong with that.) Unfortunately few things in life age gracefully, like jeans and shoes, yet there are people who find worn jeans and shoes unattractive.

Looks fade and bodies droop. And sag. Qualities like a wonderful personality, a good sense of humor, being affectionate, thoughtfulness, sensitivity, kink, good company, etc. don't fade, droop or sag. Decent people are not too superficial to understand this and and look are able to look past wrinkles, grey hair or a little extra meat around the middle.

Sure, we'd all love to spend every day with Michelle Pfeiffer physically when she was 25. Including Michelle Pfeiffer's husband. Then again I'm sure she might like to spend every day with Brad Pitt when he was 25 physically, rather than her husband (at any age).

The rule says looks fade so find someone who gets you off with more than just their looks. You don't need me to tell you that you can get fellas off with more than just your looks.